David C. Boatwright
PROCOPIO, CORY, HARGREAVES & SAVITCH LLP
David practices in the areas of transactional business and tax matters, including general business and contractual matters, joint venture arrangements (including private equity funds), mergers, acquisitions and corporate recapitalizations and restructurings, and real estate acquisition, development, finance, exchange and sale. Prior to joining Procopio, David served as Chair of the San Diego tax practice at Latham & Watkins for over a
David has extensive experience with company sale, merger and acquisition transactions and with strategic joint ventures, ranging in value from a few million dollars to over a billion dollars.
Some representative strategic joint-venture transactions handled by David include:
- Representation of a large local operating business that contributed the assets of the business into a venture with a large Japanese company in the same space;
- Representation of a partnership in acquiring and consolidating numerous operating companies in the education space;
- Representation of management of an operating business in venturing with outside money to acquire the business from its publicly traded owner in a leveraged buy out;
- Representation of the owner of 2,000 acres of local land, which was contributed to a partnership with a publicly traded home builder for development of a mixed-use residential community;
- Representation of the owner of land around San Diego's Petco Park that contributed the land into different ventures with different partners for development and operation of hotels and condominiums (including the first joint hotel/condo project in San Diego and one of the first in the country);
- Representation of the pension trust for a Fortune 100 company in acquiring and selling a number of downtown high-rise office towers;
- Representation of the owner of land that entered into a “synthetic” joint venture with an Indian Tribe for development and operation of the land as a hotel;
- Representation of a non-profit company that entered into a “synthetic” joint venture for development of high-rise condominium complexes on land owned by the client;
- Representation of a developer and operator of senior-living communities in entering into a joint venture with a large foreign investor; and
- Representation of a publicly traded company that contributed land into a joint venture for development and operation of the largest truck stop in America.
Education, Distinctions & Community Involvement
David received his B.S. in Accounting from Northern Arizona University in 1978 and his JD from Pepperdine University in 1981, where he graduated at the top of his class, and was a member of the Pepperdine Law Review. He is certified by The California Board of Legal Specialization as a Specialist in Taxation Law.
David is recognized by numerous publications as one of the top transactional and tax lawyers in San Diego (e.g., San Diego Magazine’s annual Best Lawyers issue since 2005) and one of the best lawyers in America (11th-18th Editions of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc.). In 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011, he was selected for inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® - San Diego list for Real Estate. David has the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell, “AV,” which indicates preeminent legal skills and the highest ethical standards.