To view your agenda you must be signed in
- Interest rate hikes and the prospect of a slowing economy: What to expect in 2017? What does this mean for land/house/condo values? Sales? Which markets will be hardest hit? What to expect on building supplies and labor costs?
- What’s the impact of the new Administration? The proposed tax changes? What can we expect from HUD? What else is on the regulatory/policy horizon that will further impact the land/homebuilding/condo markets?
- What is the latest on home mortgage availability/approval rates? Can homebuyers absorb interest rate increases? What is the home-buyer affordability 2017 outlook?
- Recent trends in international capital flows into the JV market: Drivers; volume; sweet spots; outlook
- Foreign home-buyers: Will the tapering off continue? Is the Asian buyer fading? What are notable trends? What for-sale residential product types/geos are still attracting interest?
- Are we in year 8 of a 7 year cycle? What are the market indicators? What can we learn from past housing cycles? Past economic cycles? Demographic trends?
- Are there cyclical changes that have become foundational changes in our industry?
- What are notable trends within the public vs. private builder markets? The land development market? The condo development market? Product size trends?
- What is the rate of new construction? What Eastern US markets are overbuilt vs. underserved within different residential product groups? Where is the capital for new development?
- What are the smart land buys for 2017? What is the demand for finished lots vs. entitled land? Land/lot prices/values: Where are they going? What are the determinants?
- Who’s buying and what’s selling? What is the uptake of first time buyers? Second home buyers? Foreign buyers? High-end/luxury homes vs. affordable housing?
- Is home price appreciation slowing down?
- Will GSE’s continue in their current form?
- What distressed opportunities are there to be capitalized upon?
W. Stephen Hagenbuckle
- What is your investment sentiment in the current climate? What types of deal/project/size/geo are you interested in? Are you primarily buying/building or selling/exiting? What returns are you targeting?
- How does an uncertain investment environment and current levels of pricing/valuation impact your decision-making processes on current investment opportunities? How are you underwriting?
- Financing/Hedging Strategies: With interest rates expected to rise, what changes are you making to your financing strategies? How are you addressing the proposed tax changes in deals?
- How to create investment opportunities in this currently disruptive market? Are the returns there for private debt?
- What for-sale residential products/geos will have the greatest investment opportunities for the next 2-5 years?
- The good, the bad and the ugly of JVs: Who is your ideal partner? Who is not? As an equity partner, what do you look for in an ‘ideal’ deal? How can prospective partners fine-tune their ‘elevator pitch’? What are red flags?
- Advice for the first time private equity user: Steps for going from syndication/friends and family to institutional/joint venture equity or a fund
- How are you viewing the current climate? Are you in a ‘wait and see’ mode? Are your investment criteria changing? Your decision-making rationale? If so, how/why?
- How are you viewing risk and translating that into your investment strategy and capital deployment?
- How are you addressing industry constraints (rising building supplies costs, labor costs/shortages, etc.) and margin compression in your strategy? How are you changing your business approach to best-position yourself in the current uncertain environment? Is it the right time to grow your business?
- Are focused on one product type or are you expanding into others? If the latter, what are some of the strategic/operational challenges in trying to capitalize on different market segments? How are you addressing?
- Is financing easy to come by? Who are your main sources? What are typical terms today? Interest rate hedging: What is your approach?
- Are you doing/considering pre-fab and modular construction? Why/why not? What will be the product types/geos to watch in 2017?
- Private equity JVs: When your fund/partner is at the end of their lifecycle - what next?
Christopher J. Wein
- What are you looking for in land investment today? What is considered a good deal at this stage in the cycle? Have the economics of deals changed over the past 12 months? If so, how and are you realigning your strategies as a result?
- What’s the latest on raw vs. entitled vs. finished lots? Urban infill vs. suburban lots? Are you starting to see distressed opportunities? What’s currently offering the best investment opportunities for land developers?
- Is $ chasing deals or are deals chasing $? Are you seeing increased competition for land deals from homebuilders?
- How is your appetite for risk these days? Are you more open or closed to riskier investments? Are your site selection and evaluation criteria changing as a result of the current climate? If so, how?
- Is demand for finished lots from homebuilders/condo developers up or down on last year? What trends are you seeing within the for-sale residential market?
- Equity & debt financing: Are capital sources finally opening up/requirements finally easing for land development? What are common deal terms that you are seeing? Are you optimistic that there will be a resurgence of capital as per the homebuilding markets any time soon?
- What notable trends can we expect to see within land development in 2017?
- How is the composition of the capital market for for-sale residential investments changing? What are the implications?
- Debt finance has been constrained for the last few years: Is it finally coming back? Who will fill the debt void? What can we expect in 2017?
- How are debt and equity providers now viewing for-sale residential investment opportunities?
- Will pullback and uncertainty from banks continue? If so, what does this mean for the cost of capital? To what extent will mezzanine help fill the financing gap with risk retention regulations now in place? Is it a lender or borrower market today?
- Are foreign investors still a dependable source of equity? What is attracting international money?
- With interest rate hikes expected, how are lenders approaching interest rate risk mitigation in financing strategies?
- Asset class/geo snapshot: What is/isn’t getting financing? Which geos are still healthy vs. which are a concern amongst capital providers?
In this session we explore how to source, and what it takes to secure, debt/equity financing for land/homebuilding/condo development and acquisitions. We compare finance options (private equity/funds, banks, private/niche lenders, EB-5, crowdfunding, family offices, foreign capital) and address:
- Capital provider hot buttons, typical costs, fees, timeframes, structures
- When one capital source may make sense over another for any given deal
- When equity is preferable to debt
- Sourcing capital providers
- How much equity do developers/builders need to put in?
- Project-level government finance
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing
- How are construction mezz loans now being structured? How much $ are borrowers having to put in? What types of development are being favored? In what locations? Is preferred equity the go-to structure for non-cash flowing assets today?
- What are the workout considerations and the inter-creditor issues for mezz construction deals/loans? What is the latest in protection in the case of a default?
- Which banks are doing construction mezz today? How has the landscape changed? Are construction deals being repriced?
- How big an opportunity is construction mezz in the current climate for non-bank lenders? Who are the new entrants in this market and how do they compare? Can we expect more brand-name developers to branch into construction mezz loans? Do such developers offer any advantages/disadvantages over other construction mezz lender types for borrowers?
- Economics of the deal: Why active adult as an investment over other age-based for-sale residential product types?
- Comparing opportunities within different sub-product types within active adult - small, in-fill and with density
- What geos are currently underserved vs. oversupplied? What will be the areas to watch in the next 3-5 years?
- How are capital providers viewing active adult? What are common questions/concerns you are hearing specific to this product type? How are you addressing?
- Variations on a theme: How to set yourself apart from your competition?
- Key traits within active adult buyers: How price sensitive are they? What are they looking for in a residence? What are key premiums/options/amenities to offer baby boomer buyers?
- How to reach potential buyers? Assessing different channels/routes
Many secondary markets are exhibiting growing populations and above-average job growth. So, it’s no surprise that more capital is now going into these markets. However, after many poor investment decisions pre-crash, for-sale residential investors today are rightfully exhibiting greater caution.
- Definitions first: What’s considered a secondary market within the for-sale residential Eastern US market?
- What is the business case – in today’s volatile climate - for investing in riskier markets vs. investing in riskier residential assets in the best markets?
- Secondary market pricing/valuations today vs. pre-crash
- How to know which secondary markets are worth the risk?
- Comparing opportunities/risks in early vs. late booming markets
- What are the for-sale residential asset types to watch, and which to avoid, in secondary markets?
- Due diligence considerations specific to residential assets in secondary vs. primary markets
- JV partner/lender perceptions and expectations: Getting sign-off
- What can we learn from past cycles and past mistakes?
- How can builders address the emerging entry level buyer? Same as previous cycles or will product changes advance the industry?
- To what degree will potential interest rate rises impact entry-level buyer demand?
- Assessing the business case for homebuilders to invest in affordable housing
- Affordability and product design considerations: Modular and tiny homes; smart tech utilization
- Is the stigma of modular/manufactured housing lessening for end-buyers? How to address?
- Why is manufactured housing not given a normal mortgage to expand affordable housing? Is this likely to change in the near-term?
- Assessing the wants of key affordable housing buyer groups: First-time buyers; seniors; workforce/low income; students
- Financing: Sources; costs; terms
- Maximizing the benefits of economic incentives
- Increased density and inclusionary up-zoning
- Public-private level partnerships
Land entitlement is one of the biggest bottlenecks for homebuilders/developers. Arguably, it is the most value-enhancing stage of the development process but also carries some of the greatest risk. Procedural missteps are common, drastically impacting a project's value. This session welcomes executives to discuss their approaches to land entitlement and mitigating entitlement risk. Among the discussion points are:
- Perspectives on what constitutes major entitlement risks for common project types/situations
- Weighing entitlement risk to determine when it’s worth the gamble
- Best practices in working with municipalities and fast-tracking approvals
- Proactive steps to minimize delays during the entitlement process
- Assessing when a change of entitlement/use warrants the risk/time/expense involved
- Entitling land for master planned communities
As the continued pinch is felt across the industry, homebuilders, condo developers and land developers come together to discuss their approaches to managing costs and strategies for increasing revenue in this uncertain climate. The focus of this discussion will be on identifying key challenges to managing costs and trouble-shooting solutions; highlighting strategies/opportunities for increasing revenues; and pitfalls to avoid. Active participation and Q&A is encouraged from the floor.
Save sessions of interest, print for onsite use and insert to calendar for auto reminders.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USEBelow are the terms and conditions governing your use of EIMN, LLC ("IMN") this website and any products or services connected therewith. By using the website or services connected with the website, you acknowledge and agree to the following:
*Your Obligations. You represent and warrant that you have the capacity to agree to these Terms and you are at least eighteen (18) years of age. To the extent any individual accesses a Site or uses a Service as an employee, partner, director, agent or representative ("Agent") of any legal entity which is a Subscriber, the Agent warrants that he or she has authority to agree to these Terms on behalf of the relevant legal entity.
You will procure that you and any licensed user under your subscription will: (a) comply with all applicable laws in relation to the site and services, including without limitation, laws relating to the use of Intellectual Property; (b) not use the site or the content outside the scope of permitted use and will not infringe any Intellectual Property or other rights in or relating to the site or the services or of any third party; (c) not copy, reproduce, recompile, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, upload, download, transmit, create derivative works from or otherwise exploit or tamper with the site or any software embodied in any site or service; (d) not prevent or restrict the use of any site or service by other authorized users nor hack into or cause damage to any server or other equipment operated by us; and (e) comply fully with these Terms.
*No IMN Warranties or Representations. IMN makes no warranty, express or implied, concerning any use of this website or any service or product provided in connection with this website. The services and products provided by IMN are provided on an "AS IS" basis. IMN disclaims any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, including any warranty for the use or the results of the use of the products or services. IMN is not responsible for correcting, maintaining or updating the data and services made available on this website.
Any material and analysis provided by or through IMN or this website is not a recommendation that must be followed or an offer, or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any financial product; IMN does not recommend that you enter into a particular transaction or represent that any product or service described on this website is suitable for you or your company. Nor is any information displayed here promoting any particular financial product, service or trading strategy in any jurisdiction where such an offer or solicitation, or trading strategy may be prohibited. As all prudent investors know, some transactions, including but without limitation, those involving high-yield securities, give rise to substantial risk and any investment decision you may make is your own. You should not enter into any transactions unless you have fully understood all such risks and have independently determined that such transactions are appropriate for you. Any discussion of the risks contained herein with respect to any product should not be considered to be a disclosure of all risks or complete discussion of the risks mentioned.
*Restricted Use. As a user of this website, you are not permitted to display, modify, copy, print or otherwise use the information made available to you here only for your own use. You are not permitted to publish, transmit, or otherwise make this information available in any format to any third party without the prior express written consent of IMN. You also are not permitted to change or remove any copyright (©), trademark (®, SM, TM) any other notices displayed with the information. IMN can modify the information at any time and for any reason at its sole discretion. Unless expressly stated otherwise herein, no rights are granted to you regarding the information on this website from IMN or any other source, including third party providers of information for this website, which shall under no circumstances be liable to you in any way.
*IMN Monitoring. Your use of the products and services on this Web site may be monitored by IMN in any lawful manner, and that the resulting information may be used by IMN for its internal business purposes or in accordance with the rules of any applicable regulatory or self-regulatory organization.
*Website or Internet failure. IMN shall have no liability, contingent or otherwise, to you or to third parties, or any responsibility whatsoever, for the failure of any connection or communication service to provide or maintain your access to this service, or for any interruption or disruption of such access or any erroneous communication between IMN and you. IMN also does not warrant or represent that the website shall be completely secure, specifically including without limitation, that no unauthorized person shall intercept or access information transmitted by you.
*Website Access. Access to this website is restricted by password and only authorized IMN registrants may use the website. Any unauthorized access shall be the responsibility of the Registrant and his or her company and IMN shall not be liable for any damages arising out of such unauthorized access. You agree to: (1) Keep your password confidential; (2) prohibit others from using your account; (3) refrain from using other Users’ accounts; (4) refrain from selling, trading, or otherwise transferring your account to another party; and (5) refrain from charging anyone for access to any portion of DirectConnect, or any information arising therefrom. You are also responsible for anything that happens through your account unless you can demonstrate that your account was accessed without your knowledge or fault.
*User Communication. To the extent permitted while using DirectConnect, you can use and participate in groups, free to post and delete comment on the website. You are solely responsible for your interactions with other users. IMN may limit the number of connections you may have to other users and may at its sole discretion prohibit you from contacting other users through use of the Services or otherwise limit your use of the Services.
If you violate this Agreement while posting, that content may be removed without further notice or the rights of others posting here. Nothing you post here is confidential or proprietary and you are cautioned that other posters or viewers may use any information posted here. By posting here you agree that IMN is not responsible for the misappropriation or misuse of any information posted on this website.
*Privacy. Any submissions, including private personal information, like names, addresses and so on, are voluntary and you waive any and all rights you have to the protection of that information. By submitting ideas, suggestions, documents or other matter ("Submissions"), you agree that: (a) the Submissions are not confidential or proprietary information; (b) IMN has no obligation to keep the submissions confidential; (c) IMN can use or disclose the Submissions for any purpose, in any way, in any media worldwide; (d) if asked, you will irrevocably assign to IMN all rights to your Submissions; and (f) you are not entitled to any compensation of any kind from IMN under any circumstances.
*Content by Becoming a User of DirectConnect: As part of obtaining registration access to DirectConnect, unless you opt out, you may receive invitations to network from other conference attendees. We may also send you emails to keep you updated on developments in the site and services. Your registration for and/or subscription to such an email service and your use of the content received through these email services will be subject to these terms. You can unsubscribe to our email service by changing your email preferences on the website.
*License. If you comply with all your obligations under this Agreement, IMN grants you a limited, revocable, nonexclusive license and right to access the Services, through a generally available web browser, mobile device or application view information and use the web pages and in accordance with this Agreement for your use only. Any other use of DirectConnect is strictly prohibited. All rights not expressly granted in this Agreement, including, without limitation, title, ownership, intellectual property rights, and all other rights are retained by IMN.
*Anti-Hacking. You expressly agree not to use or attempt to use any "virus," "spyware," "malware," "adware," "Trojan horse" "deep-link," "scraper," "bot," "spider," "data-mining," "computer code" or any other automated device, program, tool, algorithm, process, or methodology or manual process having similar processes or functionality, to access, acquire, copy, or monitor any portion of this website or content. You also agree not to obtain or attempt to obtain through any means any materials or information on the website that have not been intentionally made available either by their public display on the Web Site or through their accessibility by a visible link or portal. You further agree not to violate the security of the website or attempt to gain unauthorized access to the website, data, materials, information, computer systems or networks connected to any server, through hacking, password mining or any other method.
*No Linkage. You expressly agree not to link or attempt to link to this website or the web pages contained herein.
*Third Party Information. Some of the information you access here is the property of third parties, made available here with the express permission of those third parties. IMN is not responsible for the content of any third party information provided on this website. You are cautioned that any further use of that information by you may be subject to the rights of those third parties and you may be required to obtain a license to use any such information. Failure to obtain third party permission may be a violation of federal law. You should contact the third party provider of the information to ascertain the requirements for using the information.
*Copyright and Trademarks. The layout of the website pages, graphics and pictures used and the collection of individual contributions are protected by copyright. All copyrights belong either to IMN, the third-party content providers or both. Either IMN or the third-party content providers own all trademarks and service marks depicted here.
*Indemnification. You agree to indemnify hold harmless and defend IMN, including our employees, officers, agents and contractors and our related entities and their employees, officers, partners, agents and contractors ("Indemnified") and continue to keep the Indemnified indemnified from and against any actions, proceedings, claims, demands, costs (on a full indemnity basis including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees) brought or made against the Indemnified by any person arising in connection with your use of the Website or content, or a breach of your representations and warranties in the Terms and Conditions of Use or this Agreement, or your violation of any of the Terms and Conditions of Use or this Agreement or any other activity in which you engage on or through, and from and against any damage, loss(whether personal or property, and whether direct or consequential, including without limitation consequential financial loss), cost or expense suffered or incurred by any Indemnified as a direct or indirect consequence thereof.
*Changes in Terms and Conditions. IMN may at any time revise the terms and conditions by which you may access the website or use IMN products or services. By using this website and IMN products and services, you agree to be bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to determine the then current version of this document.
*Limitation of Liability. Neither we, nor any of our suppliers, officers, employees, partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors and assigns, agents or representatives (our "Representatives") will be liable to you for:
(a) any incidental, punitive, indirect, special or consequential damage, loss or expenses, including but not limited to any loss of business, contracts, revenue, or profits, any business interruption, security breach, loss of data, loss of goodwill or reputation or other pecuniary loss suffered by you, even if we or any of our Representatives have been advised of their possible existence; nor? (b) any direct damage loss or expenses arising from loss of customers, loss of profits, loss of anticipated profits or loss of savings.
*Termination. You may terminate this Agreement, for any or no reason, at any time, when IMN receives notice from you. IMN may terminate the Agreement and your account for any reason or no reason, at any time, with or without notice. This cancellation shall be effective immediately or as may be specified in the notice and may include disabling your current and future access to DirectConnect. IMN may also suspend or terminate this Agreement if you invite other users with whom you do not know to connect; abuse the any DirectConnect messaging services; creating multiple or false profiles; infringe on any intellectual property rights, violating any provisions in this Agreement, disparage IMN or its executives, Board members, affiliates, staff or other related entities or persons, or exhibit any other behavior that IMN, in its sole discretion, deems contrary to the purpose of the website.
*No Waiver. Failure by either party to exercise any right or remedy under these Terms does not constitute a waiver of that right or remedy.
*Entire Agreement. These terms (including any terms incorporated by reference in these terms), constitute the entire agreement between you and us with respect to your access to and use of the website or receipt of any service and supersede all prior agreements, negotiations and discussions between you and us relating to the same.
*Law and Jurisdiction. Where you visit, register and/or subscribe to a this site or related service (as indicated on this website or otherwise notified to you), these terms (and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these terms, including non-contractual disputes or claims), to the maximum extent permissible under the law of the territory that you are located in, will be governed by the laws of the State of New York. Any action to enforce these terms shall be brought in a federal court or a state court located in the state of New York, county of New York, and you agree to submit yourself to the personal jurisdiction of those courts in any such action.
*Force Majeure. We shall not be deemed to be in breach of these Terms by reason of any delay in performing, or any failure to perform any service or our obligations in relation to these Terms, if the delay or failure was due to any cause beyond our reasonable control, including but not limited to acts of God, explosions, floods, fire or accident, war or threat of war, terrorism or threat of terrorism, sabotage, civil disturbance, epidemics, prohibitions or measures of any kind on the part of any governmental, parliamentary or local authority, import or export regulations or embargoes, or industrial actions or trade disputes (whether involving our employees or of third parties).
*Severability. If any provision of these Terms is found to be wholly or partially invalid, void or unenforceable by any court having competent jurisdiction or by virtue of any legislation or any other reason, that provision shall be invalid, void or unenforceable to that extent only and no further and the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions of these Terms shall not be affected.
*Notices. Any notice given pursuant to these Terms shall be made by email or first class post, in the case of you, to the address provided on your registration form and, in the case of us, to the address posted on the website or otherwise notified to you in relation to any relevant service. Any such notice shall be deemed to have arrived if sent by post within three (3) days of posting and if sent by email at the time of transmission.
This email already exists, please use "Forgot Password" page to reset a password for an existing account.
(Click "Reset Password" button below and email with password reset instruction will be emailed to you.)
This email you entered is not in valid format.