To view your agenda you must be signed in
• What have you been buying/selling?
• Are notes a relative value play? How does the relative value compare to other mortgage- or asset-backed investments?
• When you buy a large pool what do you look to keep/sell?
• How do you value NPLs?
• Funding and acquisition sources
• Experiences of buying from the government and GSEs
• Servicing strategy
• How should smaller players approach you for sales/capital
• Do you look to foreclose then rent?
• Higher rates and the impact on home prices
• Regulatory changes so far… What will be their affect?
• Large institutions in the market… How are they driving prices?
• Private lenders have been benefitting due to the regulatory burdens of banks-Will rolling back regulation raise the level of bank lending, lowering private lending levels?
• Higher interest rates=Higher default rates? Lower Prices? By how much?
• Assessing the ARM market
• Has the Trump’s administration’s policies changed the inning of the real estate cycle?
• Tax due diligence on property and client
• Tax-advantaged and tax-free entity transactions: What are the best and newest trades that you are doing?
• Tax liens… What is the opportunity?
• Curing tax problems
• Comparing different types of IRAs and their note investment differences
• Preforming vs. non-performing notes
• Borrowing against a note vs. selling
• What a your biggest regulatory concerns on a local level?
• Coming up with your risk criteria and tolerance
• Credit scores, payment regularity and beyond
• Role of current neighborhood rent
• Dealing with the unknown
• Assessing HAMP/HARP loan risks
• Yield vs. risk
• Laying off the risk through partials and collateral assignments
• Note geography & tenant income sources
• Risk of seconds vs. firsts
• Land vs. home collateral
• Spread the risk… Note asset allocation
• Equity rich vs. underwater note
• How are servicers measuring default risk?
• Balloon payment risk
• When is a note a security? What are the factors?
• State law considerations
• Preventing securities fraud
• Reg A vs. Reggae
• Private placement regulations
• Marketing your investment
• Do you look to sell performing or non-performing?
• How much do you sell in a typical year? How do you determine what to sell?
• Year end- Are you more likely to look to trade?
• Re-trades and re-pricing
• Favored disposal method
• Do you provide seller financing or participations?
• If all or some of Dodd-Frank is reversed do you think your institution will be more likely to hold loans?
• Is it a good time to go into hard money lending?
• Getting into/out of notes
• Debt vs. equity: How are you financing your portfolio?
• Changes as you got bigger
• Converting into a performing rental/ lease-to-own portfolio
• Changing your exit-Selling to institutions vs. retail
• Is it a good time to go into hard money lending? Dust off the broker’s license?
• Working with not-for-profits
• Selling partials and joint ventures|
• Changes in the way you service your loans
• What are the first steps?
• State-level considerations, judicial proceedings, reinstated rights and foreclosure time lines
• Modify into performing vs. foreclose and other take back methods vs. gain possession through deed-in lieu then liquidate
• When to negotiate, when to foreclose and considering alternatives
• Junior lien options and senior lien rights
• Predatory practices and laws to watch out for
• Cash for key programs and how to make them successful
• Working with your servicer
• Options investors can take to expedite the liquidation of portfolios: Post Foreclosure Options
• Do you handle your own foreclosures?
• Looking at your margins on a loan-by-loan basis vs. monitoring your entire portfolio, as well
• Payment time period and amount paid
• What were the assumptions that you made when you priced and bought your note? What changes have you made along the way? How have these changes impacted your margins?
• Looking at the note owner and your options
• When is a sale the best option?
• More notes… Better margins… Can it be that simple?
• How important is speed
• Partials, selling payment streams and tales
• Working with servicers to improve margins
• The ultra-delinquent
• Partnering and co-bids
Do you own 25 or 30 notes and you are considering ramping up? Building a portfolio that can take a loss: How many notes does it take? What should be their characteristics? What are the returns I really should be making? What should be my 1, 3, 5 year plan? Are you wondering who the key hires should be to better operate your portfolio? This closed-door discussion will detail how a small owner can act or be big in their operations and returns.
• Is your strategy to get the tenant to re-perform or foreclose?
• What kind of loss mitigation was done to get the note to re-perform?
• State considerations
• Freddie sales to the small guys
• Are they banks selling? Looking at sources of supply and pricing
• Firsts vs. seconds
• Choosing your NPL vs. performing note servicer
• Impact of difficulty of foreclosing in that state
• Trading of foreclosed vs. non-foreclosed
• Firsts vs. seconds; performing vs. non-performing
• Pricing, time needed to foreclose and cost of capital
• Buying portfolios with both foreclosed and non-performing, not foreclosed loans
• Yields, performance and pricing
• What is attractive about contracts for deeds?
• Secured vs. unsecured
• Why are you looking to increase your holdings of non-performing vs. performing
• Have you seen any good deals on seconds lately?
• Owner financed structures preferred? Why?
• How far below fair market value are you looking?
• Lower vs. higher priced homes Partials-Structuring/Selling
• Changing exit strategies
• Shorter vs. longer duration paper
• Interest rate are rising…
• What makes you change market preferences?
• First vs. seconds; Performing to NPL
• Seller financing and creating your own supply
• How reliable are those in the note creation food chain?
• The government channel and those who are buying government paper
• Finding foreclosures • Is the bank spigot open?
• City-owned land banks
• Cash for keys, leasebacks and other non-foreclosure options
• Working with not-for-profits
• Comparing the opportunities today in judicial vs. non-judicial states
• What do you do to make sure the paper is clean?
• Collateral evaluation
• Bulk evaluation
• Escrow: When do you use?
• Title review
• Lien priority and assignment issues
• The data & analytics supporting your decision
• Credit… Evaluating a borrower that is improving vs. declining
• Comparing due diligence best practices
• What kind of pricing discounts can you expect on bulk purchases
• Evaluating small vs. large portfolios
• Getting good pricing without big volume
Risk of buying in bulk and effectively managing them
• Managing eviction and turnover costs of big
• Impact of vacant properties
• Valuation and costs
• Financing alternatives
• Personnel & Staffing requirements
• What factors are important to evaluate during initial due diligence to plan exit strategy per asset?
• Portfolio acquisitions… Flipping some loans; Holding others- What are the complexities that come up
• Comparing Neighborhood; Rural vs. urban settings
• What are potential upfront cost savings ideas investors may implement when looking at the life cycle of the asset?
• Technology and financial modeling assistance in disposition decision making
• Servicing considerations
• Post foreclosure options- Expediting the liquidation of portfolios:
• Time and cost to foreclose… 2016 Update for Judicial vs. non-judicial states
• Rental to sale, fix and flip, or just flip (as is)… When to do what? What is the Impact of rehab and capital needed?
• What might make you change your disposal strategy?
• Modify into performing vs. foreclose and other take back methods vs. gain possession through deed-in lieu then liquidate
• Seeking owners to flip property vs. lease to own/contract for deed
• Loan-by-loan vs. bulk exit; Institutional vs. retail buyers
• What do you like about government notes?
• Buying from the buyers
• Chasing tight yields
• Role of securitization
• Small player strategies
• Judicial states… Do you like the locations of the latest pools?
• Evaluating the quality of HUD assets
• Working with servicers financing
• What are you motivations for selling a partial vs. an individual contract?
• Warranties against non-performance
• First vs. second lien partials
• If the borrower stops performing…
• Risk assessment
• The foreclosure and eviction process
• Comparing non-performing vs. re-performing secured vs. unsecured
• Finding enough paper
• Servicing complexities
• Acquisition & exit strategies
• Default assessment
• Is leverage available?
• Comparing institutional vs. family equity
• What kind investors do you have in your pool of investors? What are their risk/return expectations?
• Structures and waterfalls
• Equity vs. leverage in a rising rate environment
• When does equity become too much equity?
• Fees, fees, fees
• Defining how each partner will operate
• Using personal property trusts with co-beneficiary agreements
• What types of loans are suitable/not suitable for securitization?
• How much “dirty” pool assets can you put in a securitization?
• Current spreads and what impacts them
• What does the bond investor look for?
• Rating agency hot buttons
• Historical/expected performance in different rate/economic scenarios
• New treasury regulations
• Credit risk management
• Trustee allocation of proceeds
• HELOCs, bridge financing, letters of credit & repos: When do you use?
• What kind of financing are you providing for this market?
• Financing from a securitization shop vs. fund vs. investment or local bank
• Licensing needs
• Trading secondary loans
• Impact of valuation
• LTV, leverage and current terms
• Collateral preferences
• Asset pledges and loans against the collateral
• Financing rehab to rental
• What is your biggest regulatory concern?
• Lender laws for seller finance
• Impact of Dodd-Frank deregulation
• State-level concerns including licensing
• CFPB and FHFA collection, modification and servicing laws to be concerned about and their impact on everything you do
• Forced-place insurance
• Default initiation time frame and procedure
• Mandated modification-how effective?
• Using technology to assist the process
• How do you employ your servicer?
• How do you come up with a debt forgiveness number? Monthly payment and loan length?
• Your latest success story
• What is a fair reinstatement fee?
• Dealing with bankruptcy filings
• Landlord workouts and associated issues
• Issues surrounding immigrants non-performers
• Getting the owner outside financing
• What to watch out for on the new regulation side
Servicer-Due Diligence, Choosing, On-Boarding, Communication & Monitoring
• Asset Manager/servicer relationship best practices
• Servicing allocation, how many servicers do you use and why
• Servicing joint ventures and partnerships
• Component servicing and platform unbundling
• Pricing short- vs. long-term dispositions
• Collateral considerations… Class “A” vs. “C”
• Effect of servicing requirements, CFPB and FHFA compliance on planning and disposition
• Modification Payment structures
• Curative and Lien Negotiation before Foreclosure, DIL and Short Sale
• Servicing transfers
• How handles loss mitigation?
• Servicer/Note buyer purchase collaborations
Save sessions of interest, print for onsite use and insert to calendar for auto reminders.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USEBelow are the terms and conditions governing your use of EIMN, LLC ("IMN") this website and any products or services connected therewith. By using the website or services connected with the website, you acknowledge and agree to the following:
*Your Obligations. You represent and warrant that you have the capacity to agree to these Terms and you are at least eighteen (18) years of age. To the extent any individual accesses a Site or uses a Service as an employee, partner, director, agent or representative ("Agent") of any legal entity which is a Subscriber, the Agent warrants that he or she has authority to agree to these Terms on behalf of the relevant legal entity.
You will procure that you and any licensed user under your subscription will: (a) comply with all applicable laws in relation to the site and services, including without limitation, laws relating to the use of Intellectual Property; (b) not use the site or the content outside the scope of permitted use and will not infringe any Intellectual Property or other rights in or relating to the site or the services or of any third party; (c) not copy, reproduce, recompile, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, upload, download, transmit, create derivative works from or otherwise exploit or tamper with the site or any software embodied in any site or service; (d) not prevent or restrict the use of any site or service by other authorized users nor hack into or cause damage to any server or other equipment operated by us; and (e) comply fully with these Terms.
*No IMN Warranties or Representations. IMN makes no warranty, express or implied, concerning any use of this website or any service or product provided in connection with this website. The services and products provided by IMN are provided on an "AS IS" basis. IMN disclaims any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, including any warranty for the use or the results of the use of the products or services. IMN is not responsible for correcting, maintaining or updating the data and services made available on this website.
Any material and analysis provided by or through IMN or this website is not a recommendation that must be followed or an offer, or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any financial product; IMN does not recommend that you enter into a particular transaction or represent that any product or service described on this website is suitable for you or your company. Nor is any information displayed here promoting any particular financial product, service or trading strategy in any jurisdiction where such an offer or solicitation, or trading strategy may be prohibited. As all prudent investors know, some transactions, including but without limitation, those involving high-yield securities, give rise to substantial risk and any investment decision you may make is your own. You should not enter into any transactions unless you have fully understood all such risks and have independently determined that such transactions are appropriate for you. Any discussion of the risks contained herein with respect to any product should not be considered to be a disclosure of all risks or complete discussion of the risks mentioned.
*Restricted Use. As a user of this website, you are not permitted to display, modify, copy, print or otherwise use the information made available to you here only for your own use. You are not permitted to publish, transmit, or otherwise make this information available in any format to any third party without the prior express written consent of IMN. You also are not permitted to change or remove any copyright (©), trademark (®, SM, TM) any other notices displayed with the information. IMN can modify the information at any time and for any reason at its sole discretion. Unless expressly stated otherwise herein, no rights are granted to you regarding the information on this website from IMN or any other source, including third party providers of information for this website, which shall under no circumstances be liable to you in any way.
*IMN Monitoring. Your use of the products and services on this Web site may be monitored by IMN in any lawful manner, and that the resulting information may be used by IMN for its internal business purposes or in accordance with the rules of any applicable regulatory or self-regulatory organization.
*Website or Internet failure. IMN shall have no liability, contingent or otherwise, to you or to third parties, or any responsibility whatsoever, for the failure of any connection or communication service to provide or maintain your access to this service, or for any interruption or disruption of such access or any erroneous communication between IMN and you. IMN also does not warrant or represent that the website shall be completely secure, specifically including without limitation, that no unauthorized person shall intercept or access information transmitted by you.
*Website Access. Access to this website is restricted by password and only authorized IMN registrants may use the website. Any unauthorized access shall be the responsibility of the Registrant and his or her company and IMN shall not be liable for any damages arising out of such unauthorized access. You agree to: (1) Keep your password confidential; (2) prohibit others from using your account; (3) refrain from using other Users’ accounts; (4) refrain from selling, trading, or otherwise transferring your account to another party; and (5) refrain from charging anyone for access to any portion of DirectConnect, or any information arising therefrom. You are also responsible for anything that happens through your account unless you can demonstrate that your account was accessed without your knowledge or fault.
*User Communication. To the extent permitted while using DirectConnect, you can use and participate in groups, free to post and delete comment on the website. You are solely responsible for your interactions with other users. IMN may limit the number of connections you may have to other users and may at its sole discretion prohibit you from contacting other users through use of the Services or otherwise limit your use of the Services.
If you violate this Agreement while posting, that content may be removed without further notice or the rights of others posting here. Nothing you post here is confidential or proprietary and you are cautioned that other posters or viewers may use any information posted here. By posting here you agree that IMN is not responsible for the misappropriation or misuse of any information posted on this website.
*Privacy. Any submissions, including private personal information, like names, addresses and so on, are voluntary and you waive any and all rights you have to the protection of that information. By submitting ideas, suggestions, documents or other matter ("Submissions"), you agree that: (a) the Submissions are not confidential or proprietary information; (b) IMN has no obligation to keep the submissions confidential; (c) IMN can use or disclose the Submissions for any purpose, in any way, in any media worldwide; (d) if asked, you will irrevocably assign to IMN all rights to your Submissions; and (f) you are not entitled to any compensation of any kind from IMN under any circumstances.
*Content by Becoming a User of DirectConnect: As part of obtaining registration access to DirectConnect, unless you opt out, you may receive invitations to network from other conference attendees. We may also send you emails to keep you updated on developments in the site and services. Your registration for and/or subscription to such an email service and your use of the content received through these email services will be subject to these terms. You can unsubscribe to our email service by changing your email preferences on the website.
*License. If you comply with all your obligations under this Agreement, IMN grants you a limited, revocable, nonexclusive license and right to access the Services, through a generally available web browser, mobile device or application view information and use the web pages and in accordance with this Agreement for your use only. Any other use of DirectConnect is strictly prohibited. All rights not expressly granted in this Agreement, including, without limitation, title, ownership, intellectual property rights, and all other rights are retained by IMN.
*Anti-Hacking. You expressly agree not to use or attempt to use any "virus," "spyware," "malware," "adware," "Trojan horse" "deep-link," "scraper," "bot," "spider," "data-mining," "computer code" or any other automated device, program, tool, algorithm, process, or methodology or manual process having similar processes or functionality, to access, acquire, copy, or monitor any portion of this website or content. You also agree not to obtain or attempt to obtain through any means any materials or information on the website that have not been intentionally made available either by their public display on the Web Site or through their accessibility by a visible link or portal. You further agree not to violate the security of the website or attempt to gain unauthorized access to the website, data, materials, information, computer systems or networks connected to any server, through hacking, password mining or any other method.
*No Linkage. You expressly agree not to link or attempt to link to this website or the web pages contained herein.
*Third Party Information. Some of the information you access here is the property of third parties, made available here with the express permission of those third parties. IMN is not responsible for the content of any third party information provided on this website. You are cautioned that any further use of that information by you may be subject to the rights of those third parties and you may be required to obtain a license to use any such information. Failure to obtain third party permission may be a violation of federal law. You should contact the third party provider of the information to ascertain the requirements for using the information.
*Copyright and Trademarks. The layout of the website pages, graphics and pictures used and the collection of individual contributions are protected by copyright. All copyrights belong either to IMN, the third-party content providers or both. Either IMN or the third-party content providers own all trademarks and service marks depicted here.
*Indemnification. You agree to indemnify hold harmless and defend IMN, including our employees, officers, agents and contractors and our related entities and their employees, officers, partners, agents and contractors ("Indemnified") and continue to keep the Indemnified indemnified from and against any actions, proceedings, claims, demands, costs (on a full indemnity basis including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees) brought or made against the Indemnified by any person arising in connection with your use of the Website or content, or a breach of your representations and warranties in the Terms and Conditions of Use or this Agreement, or your violation of any of the Terms and Conditions of Use or this Agreement or any other activity in which you engage on or through, and from and against any damage, loss(whether personal or property, and whether direct or consequential, including without limitation consequential financial loss), cost or expense suffered or incurred by any Indemnified as a direct or indirect consequence thereof.
*Changes in Terms and Conditions. IMN may at any time revise the terms and conditions by which you may access the website or use IMN products or services. By using this website and IMN products and services, you agree to be bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to determine the then current version of this document.
*Limitation of Liability. Neither we, nor any of our suppliers, officers, employees, partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors and assigns, agents or representatives (our "Representatives") will be liable to you for:
(a) any incidental, punitive, indirect, special or consequential damage, loss or expenses, including but not limited to any loss of business, contracts, revenue, or profits, any business interruption, security breach, loss of data, loss of goodwill or reputation or other pecuniary loss suffered by you, even if we or any of our Representatives have been advised of their possible existence; nor? (b) any direct damage loss or expenses arising from loss of customers, loss of profits, loss of anticipated profits or loss of savings.
*Termination. You may terminate this Agreement, for any or no reason, at any time, when IMN receives notice from you. IMN may terminate the Agreement and your account for any reason or no reason, at any time, with or without notice. This cancellation shall be effective immediately or as may be specified in the notice and may include disabling your current and future access to DirectConnect. IMN may also suspend or terminate this Agreement if you invite other users with whom you do not know to connect; abuse the any DirectConnect messaging services; creating multiple or false profiles; infringe on any intellectual property rights, violating any provisions in this Agreement, disparage IMN or its executives, Board members, affiliates, staff or other related entities or persons, or exhibit any other behavior that IMN, in its sole discretion, deems contrary to the purpose of the website.
*No Waiver. Failure by either party to exercise any right or remedy under these Terms does not constitute a waiver of that right or remedy.
*Entire Agreement. These terms (including any terms incorporated by reference in these terms), constitute the entire agreement between you and us with respect to your access to and use of the website or receipt of any service and supersede all prior agreements, negotiations and discussions between you and us relating to the same.
*Law and Jurisdiction. Where you visit, register and/or subscribe to a this site or related service (as indicated on this website or otherwise notified to you), these terms (and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these terms, including non-contractual disputes or claims), to the maximum extent permissible under the law of the territory that you are located in, will be governed by the laws of the State of New York. Any action to enforce these terms shall be brought in a federal court or a state court located in the state of New York, county of New York, and you agree to submit yourself to the personal jurisdiction of those courts in any such action.
*Force Majeure. We shall not be deemed to be in breach of these Terms by reason of any delay in performing, or any failure to perform any service or our obligations in relation to these Terms, if the delay or failure was due to any cause beyond our reasonable control, including but not limited to acts of God, explosions, floods, fire or accident, war or threat of war, terrorism or threat of terrorism, sabotage, civil disturbance, epidemics, prohibitions or measures of any kind on the part of any governmental, parliamentary or local authority, import or export regulations or embargoes, or industrial actions or trade disputes (whether involving our employees or of third parties).
*Severability. If any provision of these Terms is found to be wholly or partially invalid, void or unenforceable by any court having competent jurisdiction or by virtue of any legislation or any other reason, that provision shall be invalid, void or unenforceable to that extent only and no further and the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions of these Terms shall not be affected.
*Notices. Any notice given pursuant to these Terms shall be made by email or first class post, in the case of you, to the address provided on your registration form and, in the case of us, to the address posted on the website or otherwise notified to you in relation to any relevant service. Any such notice shall be deemed to have arrived if sent by post within three (3) days of posting and if sent by email at the time of transmission.
This email already exists, please use "Forgot Password" page to reset a password for an existing account.
(Click "Reset Password" button below and email with password reset instruction will be emailed to you.)
This email you entered is not in valid format.